Saturday, April 18, 2009

Strange Salad

My friend Marcy gave me this recipe and I just LOVE it!!! Every time I make it I want to just eat the entire salad and nothing else. I made it for Easter last Sunday and stuffed myself trying to eat it and everything else. I is a pretty sweet salad and my hubby would prefer if I left out alittle of the sugar, but I like it just the way it is.

2 heads red leaf lettuce (last time I used one head Romain)
1 can mandarin oranges, drained (I prefer tangerines- 2)
1 small red onion, chopped
8-10 sliced strawberries (last time I used 2 pears instead because I didn't have strawberries, I like it both ways)

Mix in salad bowl and set aside.

Poppy seed dressing:

1/2 C. sliced almonds
2 T. butter
2 t. sugar
In frying pan, saute over low hear. Stir until brown.
Then, in bowl, mix:
1 t. salt
4 T. vinegar
1 T. poppy seeds
4 T. sugar
1/2 C. olive oil
1/4 t. paprika
dash pepper
Add sugared almond mixture and mix until all ingredients are dissolved.

Pour dressing over salad and toss. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.(Dressing is best made the night before serving.)

Head over to A Listmaker's Life to get more Saturday Salads!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My friend gave me a similar recipe using pine nuts and spinach instead of almonds and red leaf lettuce and it is delicious!!! I agree I could eat it as a meal in itself too.

Katie said...

Yum! I think it is funny that you call it "Strange Salad" I will have to give your variation of poppy seed dressing a try!
Thanks for linking!!