Friday, January 15, 2010

Penguins

This week we made some really cute penguins during our Arctic Animals Unit. I cut a black piece of paper into an oval and then cut a smaller oval out of the middle of large oval with creative memories oval cutters. Then I attached some contact paper onto the back of the paper (did you know that those oval cutters can cut contact paper?!?!?!!!). Aidman could have cut the large oval and I should have had him do that...

Then we raided out craft cabinet for everything white for his tummy. We used buttons, shredded paper, cotton balls, yarn, feathers, and cornstarch in a small shaker. Use very LAST to take away any stickiness of the contact paper so that you do not have to add on another piece of contact paper.

Very cute little penguins and a fun tactile activity!

This would be a GREAT activity to do with very young children and while learning about the color white.

6 comments:

Sherry said...

hehe I love Lissy holding it over her face! They are cute!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

Love this one too! I'd never heard the advice about the cornstarch last, that sounds perfect for taking away the last bit of stickiness. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I agree with MamaGames- the cornstarch in the shaker- rock solid idea!

Michelle said...

This is so cute!! I love penguins. That is a great idea with the cornstarch too :0)

Lisa @ Our Country Road said...

These are so very cute! Love them. I am adding this to our to do list.

htebazile said...

OMGosh sooo cute!! I know what craft we'll be doing tomorrow!