Friday, June 19, 2009

Messy Playdate

It has been a busy and mentally draining week for me!! To break it up a little and add some fun, we had a Messy Playdate! I invited 10 moms (with about 20 kids) into our backyard to get messy. Each mom came bearing an edible item (so that if the kids ate it it wouldn't do them any harm). While it was TONS of fun, there was also TONS of learning going on... sensory, math, science, practical life.


Here is AB playing in a kiddie pool of flour.


Dried beans.

AB is playing in oats.


Homemade koolaide playdough.


Lyssy decorated her own cookie at the decorating station.


Aidman fingerpainting with pudding and whip cream.


Ice.


Uncooked pasta.


Cooked pasta.



Lyssy is playing in uncooked rice. We also had cooked rice that I didn't get a picture of.


Cornstarch. They played with it dry for a while, then they added water.


Then Aidman started stirring it as other friends added pasta, oats, flour, rice, ice, and beans to it.



It made a DISGUSTING concoction, but Aidman sat and stirred it for at least an hour. He LOVED it and kept saying that he was cooking and would put it in the oven for everyone to eat.
The kiddos all kept cool and more messy in the kiddie pool and sprinkler. It was SUPER messy and SUPER fun!!











14 comments:

teachmama said...

OH MY GOSH. I, too, have had an emotionally draining week and think I need to do this. It looks like it was a riot--so much fun--and I bet you've made some new bff's out of the birds, squirrels, and all the other backyard animals. :*)

LOVE IT--and the cooked noodles is a super idea!

Christy Killoran said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun! We'll have to try that.

MaryAnne said...

Sounds like great fun! We need it to stop raining where we live so that we can have messy fun like this outdoors...

Ally said...

I wish we could come to one of your playdates they all look like so much fun!

Banana said...

Awesome! That looks like so much fun!

Sherry Gann said...

I know the kids had a blast! Wish somebody around here would invite us to such a playdate! ;)

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

that is just crazy!

Sherry said...

Look at all the food your wasting LOL!!!!

Michelle Gibson said...

This such a WONDERFUL idea! I love the flour kiddy pool and just the fact that they could get messy! :-)

Anonymous said...

Let me make an unpopular comment - in my European mind this bash is rather wasteful and doesn't teach kids the value of food. I can see that some of this "play food" can be recovered, but I am personally against playing with food that way.

Bran said...

Right, but pretty much everything (that we normally/often buy) to do with/for sensory skills eventually needs to be tossed out whether it's is food or not... play dough, sand, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, etc. It's all in the way you use and take care of it and how long you can use/keep it. Honestly, for this particular playdate I did feel we wasted alot of stuff because the kids didn't keep it in the containers properly (I wish I would have made the "rules" alittle more clear to them and the moms), but really the kids get some much enjoyment and learning out of it that to do it once a year really doesn't bother me. I do totally see where you are coming from though.

Katherine Marie! said...

What an INCREDIBLE INCREDIBLE experience for the kiddos.. WOW! I so need to set this up for my sweeties--- they would love it... nothing beats a super fun mess!!!!

Preschool Playbook said...

This is so great! So many fun sensory activities. I wish I could have joined in:).

A Magical Childhood said...

What fun! We do this sort of thing too and I agree wholeheartedly that it is no more wasteful than using anything else that gets used up, from stickers to paint.

And actually, we use foods to make cheaper versions of some of this stuff all the time-- flour, salt, water and oil to make homemade doughs, corn starch and water to make oobleck, salt and food coloring to make cheap glitter, and flour, water and food coloring to make squeeze paint.

Why would you want kids to have sensory/art experiences with chemicals or more expensive products rather than inexpensive, safe materials like rice and flour?

Just my take on it. :)

I'd love to come to your messy playdates too!
~Alicia