Today's picnic talk over at
ABC and 123 is the Alphabet. I don't even know where to start!! At the beginning of the year I decided that I needed to put my early childhood education to better use in my own house and do more organized lessons with my kiddos. Aidman was really struggling with the alphabet at school, so I decided to start with that. I wanted to give myself a doable plan of action so not to overwhelm myself. The plan was to have one activity a week in each area (art, science, math, cooking, and movement), now it has turned into about 3 activities a week in each area (with more areas added from time to time ie: social studies, plus table top toys).
I can't pick just one letter that we have liked doing, because we have loved SO MANY!!!
Every Monday to start off the new letter we sit down together and brainstorm all the words that start with that letter. I draw all the easy words on a paper. The kiddos LOVE this!! I hang that paper on the wall for the entire week and then we add it to a book we are making of all mammy drawn letters.

Letter Rr

Letter Hh
Another thing we LOVE doing is the letter art project. I always give the kiddos an object that starts with the letter and have them apply it to the letter that has been written on the paper.

Velvet Vv

Koolaid Paint Kk
If you look at my side bar you can see all the different letters and what we have done with each. This plan of action has REALLY worked well in my house and it really helps us to be on purpose with what we do.
14 comments:
Wow you do a great job of drawing. I don't think I'd do as well with my drawings of things. Cool idea though.
I have really enjoyed your letter posts. You do such fun activities. I really like you posters with all of your drawings. Great idea.
fun koolaid paint Kk
Thanks for sharing your fun ABC activities and drawings. I have to tell you that everytime I open your page I think "I want to go THERE!" That beach water is beautiful!!
I love the "brainstorm everything that begins with this letter" activity!
I was going to ask you how to make Kool-Aid paint, but I just googled it and found it. Thanks for the idea! And I love your cloud activities and tea party, too. I have been wanting to start a tea time.
I like that you brainstorm all the words that you can think of that start with that letter.
I am going to be starting the letter a week with my oldest this summer. I will be definitely reading your archives for ideas! Thanks!
Great ideas!
You're full of great ideas! You're also a better draw-er than me. I'm not sure my son would be able to tell what my pictures were. ;)
Such fun ideas. I love the idea of kool-aid paint. I'll have to try that!
I really enjoyed your letter-of-the-week themes. The drawings are great - your children can learn so much from you!
I remember those Kool Aid K's! That's a great project, if I had done all the great activities you've done it'd be hard for me to pick one too!
You are the GO TO blog for letter ideas! Great job, momma!
Post a Comment