Thursday, October 8, 2009

Kids in the Kitchen ~ Pumpkins

For this weeks Kids in the Kitchen we decided to use one of the pumpkins that we got from the farm yesterday. I LOVE cooking with pumpkins, during fall (while they are available) I like to cook at least one pumpkin a week. I freeze the pumpkin and then am able to use it in lots of different recipes.

Today the kiddos cleaned out the pumpkin for me (they ALWAYS love doing this).

Aidman loves to be silly and said he had a goop beard.

They Lyssy and I had some alone one on one time and she made the pumpkin seeds. She put 1/8 teaspoon paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder into an empty spice container.
Then she shook it.

And sprinkled it on the seeds.

After baking, I put the seeds in a pretty leaf dish...

And the kiddos attacked it! They LOVE pumpkin seeds and the 3 of them ate the entire batch in just a few minutes.

For lunch I made pumpkin pancakes.

And for dessert tonight, I made a pumpkin pie. The wonderful thing is that I still had 2 cups of pumpkin left to put in the freezer!

Go check out more Kids in the Kitchen.

5 comments:

Sherry said...

I love the pictures of Lissy! And please tell me the boy didn't have the gloppy glop in his mouth? YUCK lol Lots of super recipes, really gonna try your pumkin seed recipe and see if I like it that way better!

Christy Killoran said...

I LOVE pumpkin! I am posting pumpkin squares on Sunday. They came out so good. I want to make the pumpkin pancakes. My kids would love those.

Sarah said...

Wow! You were busy. I love everything pumpkin for fall but haven't yet started that kick. I need to cook them instead of getting canned.....you may have inspired me :) So how do you cook them??

Mandy said...

whoa! i'm impressed. i've never actually cooked a pumpkin. i do a lot of different squashes though. is it similar?

Bran said...

I cut my pumpkin in half, dig out the goo, put it face down on a foil covered cookie sheet, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for 45 mins to an hour, let it cool and then scoop out of the shell.